Day 1,462: Zero days left: Trump’s time in office by the depressing numbers, long-lasting damage and abject failures
Donald Trump slinked away to South Florida early Wednesday morning, too petty and too tiny to attend the inauguration of his successor, Joe Biden.
The past four years have shown Trump to be remarkably incurious, unintelligent, hot-tempered, dangerous, and ill-equipped for and uninterested in the job to which he was elected.
The long-term effects of Trump’s time in office won’t be known for decades. But to say nothing of the incalculable— the erosion of American democracy, increased civil unrest, the damage to the nation’s world standing and respect, the enabling of strongmen and authoritarians around the world, replacing untold career officials for political ones — the objective metrics of Trump’s presidency have been nothing short of disastrous.
The numbers are eye-popping:
- $7.8 trillion: increase in the size of the national debt, despite Trump’s many promises to eliminate it in its entirety
- 3 million: jobs lost during Trump’s term, the first time in nearly a century that a president has seen employment fall during his tenure
- 34: indictments, guilty pleas and convictions stemming from Robert Mueller probe into 2016 election meddling
- 15: new miles of southern border barrier where none existed previously
- 0: substantive health care plans to replace the Affordable Care Act
- At least 400,000 (and counting): Americans killed by COVID-19, though Trump claimed dozens of times that it would soon disappear
- 321: trips to his own golf properties by Trump during his four years, despite campaigning that he would never play a single round
- 29.5%: days in office Trump spent at one of his own properties
- 92%: turnover of senior officials within the executive office of the president
- 14: Cabinet positions turned over, five more than the combined turnover of Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton in their first terms
- 650: days without a Senate-confirmed secretary of the Department of Homeland Security
- 20%: purity of uranium that Iran is enriching to develop nuclear weapons after Trump’s ripped up Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
- 26,235: tweets and retweets since Trump’s 2017 inauguration, until Twitter suspended Trump’s account on January 8, 2021
- 2: impeachments, the first president in American history to be impeached twice
- 1: attempted insurrections incited
1,462 days in, 0 to go